Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2017

YOU CAN’T GO HOME AGAIN, UNLESS YOU’RE A WRITER. by Mollie Hunt






When I quit my job of 15 years, I vowed to my workplace friends I’d come back to visit. Over a year and I haven’t been back yet. 

My parents spent their final days in a lovely assisted living community where they, and I, made many friends. At their funerals, I promised I would see everyone again. I’ve not fulfilled that promise either. 

It’s not that I don’t mean it– I do. But life goes on. Things change. Time passes, and nothing is ever the same. Though the phrase, “You can’t go home again”, classically refers to one’s childhood, at 64, I have a whole compendium of things to which I can never return. 

Except, I can. 

In words and stories, I have visited those rooms of childhood, run through the spring-lit gardens of youth, dropped in and said hello to history, caressed the sounds and scents of days gone long ago. I have dwelt in dreams, righted wrongs, and even taken my share of revenge. (“Never wrong a writer. They get their revenge in print.”)  

In Placid River Runs Deep, I went back to my childhood summer place, got to visit with my grandmother, and watch the sun set over the hills once more. 

In Broken Roses, I killed the man who abused me. 

In L. E. Catts and the Seven of Swords, I courted a bad-boy old flame. 

In my cat mysteries, I see a better stronger different version of myself.


Through writing, there is no place I cannot go.





Happy Reading!

Be sure to visit my Website, Crazy Cat Lady Mysteries and More 
and my Facebook Writer’s Page at Mollie Hunt, Writer.
Check out Cat's Paw, my latest Crazy Cat Lady cozy mystery on Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Your words hit home or me. I, too, have faced some of the wrong-doers of my past in my writing. I've killed-off a few of them and financially ruined one. I have written my severe head injury experience into the storyline for one of my heroines. You are absolutely right that in our writing, there is no place we cannot go. Still, I have a few places I haven't revisited. I may never be able to, but you have me thinking now. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Kaye. Yes, there are places I can't go, yet.

      Delete