Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Special Trip

I wrote this blog article before I found out the news that my father, Bill Crider, was being admitted into hospice care.  This post might seem a bit light-hearted considering what my father, my family, and I are experiencing right now, but I wanted to go ahead and share it since it describes a special trip my dad and I took together.  I'm extremely grateful that we got to spend this time together just this past October.

For my last blog post, I wrote about fan conventions and my impending trip to Toronto for Bouchercon World Mystery Convention 2017.  So today, I thought I would tell you a little bit about that trip.  



I had brilliantly arranged my flight to arrive at the same time as that of my father, Bill Crider.  With no delays for either of us, we arrived at the same time.  We headed from the airport to the hotel together and soon met up with friends Jeff and Jackie Meyerson and George and Diane Kelley.  The Kelleys generously treated us to a steak dinner with delicious food and entertaining company, so our time in Toronto started off with a bang.  

For the next few days, I attended the panels of authors, editors, and other experts in the mystery world.  So far, although you tend to hear similar things about writing and the book world at these conventions, I have never gotten bored of these panels and enjoyed every minute of them - perhaps because the schedulers do such a great job of mixing up the different topics and the people who share their perspectives about them; or maybe because I'm still somewhat new to attending these conventions.  Dad was feeling good for this trip (in fact, I struggled to keep up with his pace), and it was especially nice to attend the panels on which he participated.  

Doctors Demento:  Authors with PhDs.  Front:  Frankie Bailey, Dana Cameron, Bill Crider.  Back:  Radha Vatsal, Catriona McPherson, Kenneth Wishnia 

We had a great time each evening mingling with friends and enjoying the panoramic skyline views of Toronto from the hotel’s lounge.



Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine (EQMM) was being honored at the convention for 75 years in publication and its distinguished contribution to the genre, and Janet Hutchings was honored for her 25 years as its editor.  This was a special treat to me since I have a story being published in one of EQMM’s upcoming issues, and was thrilled to be invited to attend a dinner that included some of EQMM’s distinguished contributors, including Dad.  

Clockwise from left to right:  Toni L.P. Kelner, Dana Cameron, G.M. Malliet, Bill Crider, Janet Hutchings, Angela Crider Neary (feeling unworthy in the midst of greatness), Charlaine Harris, Paula Woldan, Brendan Dubois.  Photo courtesy of Dana Cameron.

Myth Hawker Traveling Bookstore had Li’l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau:  The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos for sale and invited me to be a featured “author of the hour” to promote the book.  



Then, there was time to explore Toronto.  The CN Tower (the third tallest tower in the world) was just a short walk away from our hotel.  




We met some nice bears and moose (mooses?).



We also took a subway trip to Casa Loma, a majestic castle-type structure built in 1911 as a residence for a wealthy financier.  It is now a museum, and is also used for special events and as a filming location for movies (for example, X-Men) and TV.



I even made my way up winding staircases to the top of the castle’s towers.  It was a bit windy up there, but the view was incredible.



It was a wonderful trip (an unsettling aspect was that the Sonoma County fires were blazing uncomfortably close to my home while I was away, but that’s a story for another day, and in the end my husband and I were lucky to have suffered no personal or property damage).  I will always cherish this special time spent at the convention and exploring Toronto with Dad.  






Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Stay tuned for her second book in the series, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon. To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.

27 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. I think it's very appropriate since I know how much your dad has always loved attending Bouchercon. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Livia. I’m glad I was able to attend the last three Bouchercons with him. Not sure I can go to one without him.

      Delete
  2. Angela, I'm living vicariously, here. LOL Looks like a great time was had by all and what a trip to remember--you got a lot of wonderful pictures, too! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I didn’t get to explore the city much, but enjoyed what I got to see.

      Delete
  3. These are lovely memories to hold close to your heart. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaye. I’m glad we got to make these memories.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I loved reading those odd little stories in Mr. C's blog, it was always the personal tales I enjoyed the best. Thank you for sharing another one from your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing how delightful this trip was for the two of you. I only got to say a quick hello to Bill at this Bouchercon, which I regret, but have a lasting memory of the first one I attended and shared a panel with him. If possible, say hello ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Angela, for your heartwarming tale of the very special trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very glad to see this. Even gladder the two of you got to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I followed your dad's facebook page while he was at the conference. He had a wonderful time with you, with the wrtiers. How joyous to have that, and you can be proud to remember it light-heartedly since it was a good time. Thank you for sharing. Love to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly. I’m glad we got to make and share some great memories.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed this blog post! I've never been to Bouchercon, but my father took me to Toronto as a high school graduation present way back in 1970. It was great fun. There were free outdoor jazz concerts at noon at the CN Tower. We walked up to the tower, heard music playing, went around the corner to the courtyard & there, on the clarinet, was Benny Goodman!!

    Best wishes to you & your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Elizabeth. Wow - Benny Goodman! I saw him once in New Orleans. It was a special treat since I played clarinet in high school and college. Dad played it in high school, as well.

      Delete
  11. Lovely post. How wonderful that you and your father shared that experience!

    ReplyDelete